Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Strawberry-Peach

Heard at our house tonight:

"The mayor just called and is coming over. Go put your bra on."

Haha. Louis' silly hippie wife. 

Olivia was asleep and I was busy canning when the mayor called.  I created a recipe tonight of a half box of strawberries (=6 baskets=10 cups) and eight white peaches (4 cups) with five cups of sugar. It's pretty good but I can't really taste the peaches.

I was inspired to try something new after a friend suggested I try a mixed fruit jam. Yesterday I went to the Newark farmers market and found both organic strawberries and peaches for a good price. I don't like canning stuff that's not organic, so I was kinda limited but the jam turned out fine. Maybe next time I'll do a majority peaches and just a few strawberries and see how it comes out. I have a big bag of peeled and pitted plums in the freezer for my next jam. My cabinet space is getting full! The jars look so beautiful. 

I want to move on to pickling vegetables next but making jams and butters is so much fun. Once tomatoes come down in price a bit more, I'm gonna go crazy with putting up tons of quarts. While mashing the peaches into a purée tonight, our hand blender died. Darn it. I think that was the last appliance that predated our marriage, since it was originally Louis'. Guess I better start looking for a new one.

We're getting our internet back tomorrow morning! I miss my netflix but I've also gotten a lot of stuff done this past week without internet access at night.


No comments: