Thursday, February 11, 2016

Accident

I woke up about 5 am to the feeling of cold wetness in bed. Sure enough, my baby peed all in my spot. I cleaned her up while Louis ripped off the fitted sheet and waterproof mattress pad, and replaced it with a blanket (that is so ridiculously comfy we decided to keep it on tonight!) and we all piled back in for a little more sleep. 

It was my workday at school, and I was in puzzles and games. This week's theme is Friendship and Cooperation and I totally chickened out of a hard project and just brought the game Kerplunk. The kids loved it until one boy decided to tip the whole thing upside down and the marbles flew all over. Damn it, this is why I can't play games with the kids. Some are awesome to play with and get excited about learning new games. Other kids are just obnoxious. After the game attempt, I gave up and let the kids make Valentine cards. That ended up being a hit and was super cute because the girls were all over it with "I'm making a card for my best friend." At the end of class, we had a visitor from Pallen's martial arts come and do a demonstration for our class. He was so great with the kids! Made me definitely consider signing O up for classes.

We came home for lunch and then took off right away for the birth center, where I was planning to go to peer review. Peer review! I was so excited to be able to go again. It's a gathering of midwives who meet to present unusual or challenging cases so we can all learn from each other's experiences and establish community standards. It's actually required for my license that I attend a certain number of hours. I prepped everything last night so that O would be occupied with snacks and a box full of valentines that needed to be made for school. 

We were on Estudillo just about to get onto the freeway when we were suddenly hit from behind. My glasses fell off and it took me a moment to understand what happened. O started crying and said, "the car hurt my head." I called 911 right away and used every bit of midwife in me  to keep my voice from shaking as badly as the rest of me was. The guy from the other car came up to my window to see if I was ok but I just put my hand up to tell him to go away. I couldn't even. I was so shaky and shocked and upset and worried about O. When the fire department came, I told them I needed a minute before I could get out because I didn't think I could stand. Once I got out I was fine and then I went around to lift O out. Somebody moved my car into the parking lot nearby. The police and fire guys gave O stickers and talked to her in a non-scary way, which was great. They got my info and the other guy's and gave me a card with his info. I think someone told me to call my insurance right away. I could barely think straight. I declined an ambulance, because I thought it was just the shaky feeling that would go away. What I really wanted was a chiropractic adjustment right away.

We drove to our chiropractor, who was just down the street but no one was there, because it's like the one day a week that she doesn't work. Right after I called 911, I called Louis to ask him to come home, so we made plans for him to take us to another chiro friend in Union City. Louis was so scared but it was better after he saw us. After the adjustment I felt so much better.

O got adjusted too, and we'll both go back for a follow up on Saturday morning. We were all hungry after, so we asked O where she wanted to eat and she asked for spaghetti and meatballs. We ended up at Elios.

We talked to her all day about what happened and how it was scary and just let her ask questions. I'm really worried that she may have some lingering fears. We'll see what she tells people at school tomorrow.

I'm sore and so tired. I can't focus on how I'm feeling until I know O is ok. I really wanted to go to peer review :(

No comments: