Saturday, February 6, 2016

KM Week 6

Yesterday was a big day. After I dropped O off at school, I came home to send some emails. I ended up writing to my web developer friend to ask if she could start with designing my logo. I gave her some background info about the colors I like and why I chose the name "Generations" and that my timeline was basically within the next 2-3 months. I actually did it!

Haven't had a logo for the 6 years I've been licensed and now it will finally happen! The baby prep is forcing me to push to get lots of things crossed off my to do list. I think I'm also being pushed in a good way by knowing that I have to renew my license this year, which means re-committing to being a midwife, and also because the client that T and I are sharing is now in her due date window, which means I get to go to a birth soon!

In the afternoon while B was here to play with O, I started on the next KM category of paper, specifically my mother-in-law's stuff. I managed to get a lifetime of her important papers dealing with immigration, the divorce, medical records, bank statements, and social security all into one box. Everything is in chronological order and cutely labeled in envelopes. It looks and feels so satisfying. As I was tidying her stuff, however, I realized I hadn't paid her rent for the month. Geez. I so neglect her now. We've been distant since my brother-in-law's wedding disaster but I have just totally backed away since O was born. I have to, for my own sanity, but it makes me sad to think about how it could be different.

After O went to bed, Louis and I did some KMing together in the office. Week 6 is all about paper.  One of the things I cleared out was a huge binder full of resources I had put together about mental illness. When I was pregnant, Louis and I took a 12 week class called Family to Family, which was so helpful for learning about mental illness and how to help relatives with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. We were the only ones in the class that were there because of a parent but it was still great to connect with other families who understood what we were going through.

I kept some key pages from my binder, but decided to let the rest go. I know I can find it online if I need it.

After that binder, I moved on to some huge binders I've kept that are full of the papers from my sexual harassment lawsuit against Eddie Bauer. It was hard to read it. I am torn with throwing the whole thing out or keeping some key parts in case O is ever curious. For now, I threw out one binder worth. I would love to do some sort of ceremonial burning to let it go. I may try the method of pouring boiling water over a stack of paper to melt it all together and then compost it. I need to do some sort of release.

Louis finally stopped me so we could watch Parenthood and veg on the couch but after my KMing yesterday, I was exhausted. Once we got into bed, he wanted to talk and I fell asleep on him! That has never happened. Guess I was just mentally exhausted. It will be awesome to be done with this category.

No comments: