Friday, February 19, 2016

Cleanse

Last week, I let the chiropractor talk me into trying a 10 day cleanse. She's been trying to get me to do it for months, but I kept putting her off by saying I was still breastfeeding and couldn't do a cleanse.

I finally agreed. It was the Standard Process brand, which chiropractors and acupuncturists absolutely love. I got one shake of fruit or veggies at each meal, and had a list of approved foods. Basically, I could eat an endless supply of vegetables and a small portion of protein at each meal. No dairy, no grains. 

I admit that I cheated a few times by having a late night tv snack of avocado scraped out with tortilla chips. Oh, and I did make buttery popcorn one night. I was so hungry I didn't feel at all guilty.

Louis will agree that I was the grumpiest, most unhappy person for most of these past 10 days. It was frustrating trying to figure out what to eat, especially when in a rush or eating out. The supplements I had to add to my shakes were gross. I got really sad about having to make major changes to my diet, even knowing that the cleanse was really benefitting me in the long run. At first, I was hungry all the time.

When I started noticing some body changes, though, I got inspired and checked out a few Paleo cookbooks from the library and copied recipes that looked good. I got way more creative with meals as the 10 days wore on. I had my weigh in today and the result was that I lost 5 pounds and 3 inches from my waist. I had to wear yoga pants to my appointment because my jeans are too loose.

This is a good thing! Louis wants to get on board now. I'm starting Phase 2, which is another 10 days of supplements and good eating, but I only have to do one shake a day and I can add in some dairy. I don't think I will, though. My taste buds changed during the cleanse and fresh veggies taste so good that I really don't need to add anything to them, except some olive oil and a little salt. 

I was told not to do much exercise during the cleanse, so I stayed away from Zumba. Adding that back in this next week will be great.

I'm excited to see what the next 10 days will bring!

No comments: