We got the weirdest phone call yesterday. "We" because first they called Louis, who blew them off, and then they called me, even though he told them not to.
I got a call on my cell phone from a woman who said she was with some company whose name I didn't recognize and can't remember. She said according to her records, we bought an oven from Home Depot in 2008 and wanted to clarify if this was correct. It is. She also read off our address and wanted to clarify it was correct. It is. She said that when our oven was delivered, the delivery guys made a mistake in not installing an "anti-tip" device and she was calling to schedule a time for a new delivery guy to come out and install it, free of charge, of course.
I just got the creepiest and "what the heck?" kind of feeling from her, so I said I didn't know what my schedule was like and asked for a phone number to call so I could set up a time for them to come by. She was very fumbly about how the guys could really only come out on certain days because they would already be in the neighborhood, etc. Uh-huh.
Louis thinks someone managed to steal the delivery records from Home Depot some time within the past two years and now this group has our names, cell phone numbers, home address, and probably credit card info. Lovely.
Just passing on the info. Watch out for a call like this.
2 comments:
gross.
dk
People steal anything nowadays. Make sure to keep your house locked up, and tell the neighborhood group to watch out for these people. They verified your home address, who knows what else they'll try!
I've been getting collection calls and whatnot at work for my boss. It's linked to his checkbook being stolen. Whenever I ask to take a message and get a phone number they get huffy and threatening and pushy. If it was a real situation, the person wouldn't act that way, right? So, now, anytime the phone rings with a 900 #, I just force the call into voicemail. They never leave a message, but this way I don't have to listen to it.
Post a Comment