Heartburn
Gas and intestinal cramping
Constipation
Diarrhea
Loose stools
Backache
Leg cramps
Round ligament pain
Sciatica
Edema
Varicose veins
Hemorrhoids
Nosebleeds
Stretch marks
Itchiness
Anxiety
Mood swings
Insomnia
Fatigue
Breathlessness
Coughs and colds
Sinus headache
Flu
Headache
Yeast infections on skin
Vaginal yeast infection
Urinary incontinence
Tender breasts
Goodness. At least now I would feel much more confident recommending particular remedies to clients.
One of my favorite sources for remedies was a book called The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm. The author is a midwife and an herbalist and she's one of the first authors I've read who is able to explain herbal remedies in a way that even I can understand them and I don't feel afraid to use them. I'm still the least herb-knowledgeable of all the midwives I know. I'm definitely working on it, but it's so foreign to me. I didn't grow up hippie, so all these natural remedies took me some time to learn.
A couple other things I really liked about this book are the chapters on pregnancy as a rite of passage (including good info on how to do a proper Blessingway) and the chapter on the changing family, which includes the man's point of view and is written by the author's husband. I'm glad I have a copy of this book in my lending library to recommend and loan to clients.
Here are a couple of the herbal recipes she includes in the book:
Muscle Ache Oil
To 1 cup of olive oil, add 1/2 teaspoon of each of the following: cinnamon oil, spearmint oil, rosemary oil, and lavender oil. Shake vigorously and apply as needed. These oils stimulate circulation in the area to which they are applied, relieving circulatory congestion, promoting warmth, and inducing gentle muscle relaxation.
Calming Tea
Combine 1 teaspoon chamomile flowers, 1 teaspoon lemon balm, and 1/2 teaspoon lavender flowers, steep in 1 cup boiling water (covered) for 10 to 15 minutes, strain, and drink warm, with honey if you prefer, as often as you wish throughout pregnancy for stress, indigestion, sleeplessness, and anxiety. You can also use take this tea during labor to help you ease discomfort from contractions.
Garlic Lemonade (for colds and flu)
Steep 4 to 6 cloves of chopped raw garlic in 1 quart boiling water (cover the jar while you steep) for 30 minutes. Then add the juice of 1 or 2 lemons and honey or maple syrup to taste. Drink warm, up to 1 cup every two hours. If you don't find the tea palatable, try steeping the garlic as above, but add a couple bouillon cubes or 1 tablespoon of miso to the tea instead of lemon and honey. This is a warming tea if you have chills but can be used at any time of the year.
All the remedies she lists in her book call for fresh or dried herbs, which I can get at the Berkeley Whole Foods, and/or essential oils and/or homeopathics. I like ordering my oils from a company called Young Living, but in a pinch I buy them at Whole Foods or the health food store at the Pelton Center in San Leandro.
I cannot believe how far I've come in this process. When I started school, I had no idea this whole natural world existed. I still have so much more to learn, but that's part of what keeps life exciting. I love being able to take such an active role in health care.
1 comment:
a lot of herbal remedies are non-Western. i grew up with a dad making all sorts of herb teas for sore throats and colds, giving us capsules for illnesses and rubbing "smelly" oils for muscle pains or a fever reducer. tried and true: ginger to help with belly aches and nausea (esp. car sickness), tiger balm for sore muscles. when my parents came out when K was 2 weeks old, they made a traditional soup for after birthing to help restore my "energy" ---- i look at it is a chinese gatorade. that's a real good module.
Post a Comment