Yes, it does seem like I'm randomly jumping around to different topics. Really though, I have reached the final destination on the procrastination train and now I'm just going down the alphabetical list of modules, finishing what needs finishing, and sending them in.
Female sexuality was interesting. On part of the assignment, I was given different scenarios and asked to write about any personal bias I had plus what my midwifery concerns would be. The scenarios start off with, "a woman is in a loving sexual relationship with a man and is now pregnant" and includes others like, "a woman is in a primary relationship with a man and choosing sexual encounters with women" and "a lesbian has conceived by having intercourse with her male friend."
Of course, what I have to keep in mind is that students all across the US and Canada are doing these assignments, so I'm sure someone, somewhere is completely shocked and writing furiously about their personal biases. For me, it's like, *yawn* BOR-ING. Been there, done that, had a client in that situation last month. No big whoop. My midwifery concern (regardless of living situation or sexual relationship) is providing respectful, empowering, culturally-appropriate prenatal and postpartum care. I wonder if my instructor will believe me.
Speaking of bias and culturally-appropriate care, this module also required me to research female genital mutilation. FGM is still common in many parts of Africa and the Middle East and it involves slicing off parts of the female genitalia in order to maintain cultural ideals of femininity and modesty. Many cultures believe that performing FGM will reduce a woman's sexual desire and keep her from cheating. It's also believed that women become cleaner and more beautiful as a result.
There are four types of female genital mutilation. The most extreme type involves slicing off all the external parts and sewing the edges together with just the tiniest hole for blood and urine. When a woman gets married or is about to give birth, the hole is surgically enlarged. After birth, it is sewn up again.
I completely admit that I am biased against this whole thing. I get that it is seen as culturally appropriate for girls to have this done, since it ensures they will be able to be married off, which ensures their economic safety and well-being. I totally disagree with some groups who want to change the name, however. Some groups now want to refer to it as "female genital cutting" or "female genital circumcision" because it makes it less scary. Let's just call it what it is. FGM involves cutting off parts of the body with no medical or health benefits; it can cause severe bleeding, shock, tetanus or sepsis, infertility, problems urinating, childbirth complications, and newborn deaths. It is internationally recognized as a violation of the human rights of girls and women. It's that's not "mutilation" I don't know what is.
According to the World Health Organization, there are 100 to 140 million girls and women who are currently living with the consequences of FGM. There are lots of international groups working hard to stop it, but as long as it stays a culturally accepted process, it will keep happening. It's part of my assignment because I have to be prepared to provide care to women who have had it done to them. Heavy.
1 comment:
i'm grateful fgm is not common in america. sounds awful.
dk
Post a Comment