Sunday, July 25, 2010

Name Help

I have finally hit the halfway mark on my modules. It does actually appear as if I will finish, hurray!

I got my NARM exam confirmation letter in the mail yesterday, with the address and time of the exam. It's just three weeks away!

My newest anxiety-producing project is coming up with a proper name for my very own midwifery business. Obviously I'm not marketing myself as a licensed midwife yet, but I want to have everything in order so that once I get my test results and send in the last module, I'll be ready to go. This means coming up with a name, web domain, web site, logo, letterhead, color scheme, business cards, etc.

Help!

My first choice for a name was Yellow Rose Midwifery, which Louis has since vetoed because he thinks it's too airy fairy. Our next mutual choice was Roots Midwifery Service. I'm looking for a way to combine traditional, ancient, sacred aspects of midwifery care, Mexican and Native American heritage, and my interest in genealogy and family history, eg "knowing your roots." I like the colors of turquoise, brown, purple, yellow, or red.

I'm not opposed to part of the name being in Spanish. I don't want to box myself in by being too "ethnic" but I am fairly proud of the fact that I am the only East Bay midwife who is neither white nor black and, like my doula business, I will be working with people from many ethnicities and backgrounds.

Is Roots Midwifery too simple? Should I add something in front like Planted Roots Midwifery? New Roots? Deep Roots? Sacred Roots? I don't know.

I would love any and all feedback about this. I'm planning to buy the domain name within the next week or so. Thanks!

5 comments:

amy said...

"Roots Midwifery" makes me think of food. Not a bad thing since you have to nourish the momma, but the first thing to my mind is yams, potatoes, carrots, etc.

Of your roots-choices listed, I like the "Sacred Roots Midwifery" the best. It conveys the message that you're seeking to covey: heritage & midwifery. I'd use a variety of the colors you suggested to express this.

Like, what colors do you associate with Mexican? Use that on one page. Use another set of colors on a different page of information to show your Native American heritage. I think that you don't have to spell it out for people but they'll see the connection if they're of the same background.

Of course, I don't know much about websites. Is that hard to do? Or, should you be keeping with the same color theme throughout your site so it all looks professional and cohesive? For example, the City of Hayward site. It's all green and brown to match the logo. The airport is going to launch their own site (linked through the city, of course), but we are required to use the city colors. There's no room for creativity in color choices or anything.

Crazy said...

Needle in a Heystek Midwife Services? You Push, I'll Catch Midwife Services? "Roots Midwifery" (not knowing your intentions) sounds sort of hippy-dippy. that could be a good thing (marketing) but it's not your intentions --- and it makes Amy hungry. Have you considered utilizing Neira in the name? I did a google baby name search and it came up as "Enlightened" which I feel you are reflecting in your work.

Anonymous said...

roots reminds me of alex haley's book.

dk

yellowrose15 said...

Thank you for the comments! I love that Amy thought of roots as in food, especially because I totally despise most root vegetables. Seriously, the thought of eating a sweet potato makes me shudder. I had never thought of "roots" in that way before.

As for hippie-dippy/airy-fairy-ness, that is sort of what I have to go for. Here are some examples of other practices in my area: Wombservice Midwifery, Tres Lunas Midwifery (they're white) Sacred Body Midwifery, Jade Lotus Midwifery (they're white, too), Fruits of Labor Midwifery, and Awakenings Midwifery.

The web site will have consistent colors throughout, but I can work with the scheme once I have a name.

Lisa, it's funny you mentioned using Neira and it's meaning. Louis was looking up baby girl names the other day (don't ask) and came across Aneira, which means "the golden woman."

My mind is still racing with ideas. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

Crazy said...

I LOVE IT. Aniera. hey, if you're not going to name your first daughter that, it makes quite the catchy and meaningful business name, too. Fruits of Labor... that's so dorky. he won't admit it, but the first two names were Greg's suggestions.