Well, if I wasn't already scared about combining my genetic material with Louis', I am now. This module had me FREAKED OUT to say the least. I now know everything that can go wrong with pregnancy, genetically speaking.
Thanks to midwifery texts and exhaustive internet research, I was able to study (and see pictures of) many, many genetic diseases and their effect on the body. The trisomies are fascinating. Trisomy 21 is Down syndrome.
I can now explain the differences between dominant and recessive disorders, CVS and amniocentesis, and the triple marker and quad screen. I know the local resources for prenatal screening and genetic counseling and which ethnic groups are most at risk for certain disorders.
What I don't know is whether I would choose genetic screening for myself, in light of the combination of our multiple ethnicities. Funny how this was the first module I thought of in personal terms. Would I want to know? Would we be able to handle a "special needs" baby? Do I really want to pass on our genes?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment