Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Costs

My project for today was to put together a spreadsheet of all the expenses I've incurred thus far on my midwifery journey. I thought I would also get a head start on my taxes for this year.

It's still very much a rough draft, but here's how it all breaks down:

Apprenticeship (bridge toll charges only, not including gas, food, and the emotional cost, oy) - $232

Casa (internship fee and airfare for both trips) - $4360

Casa other (postage to and from, groceries, gas and gifts for the midwives) - $575

Classes and trainings (not included in school) - $675

Licensing fees - $400

Professional memberships and renewals - $270

NARM exam and hotel costs - $797

Midwifery school tuition - $12,000

Postage and misc. to and from school - $105

Study group costs (bridge toll and fees paid to instructor) - $563

Supplies (books and very basic equipment) - $1500

Grand total = $21,400.

Dios mio, that's only the stuff I have receipts for. No frickin wonder I'm broke. Congratulations, you've graduated school, your credit cards are maxed out, and you now face a massive amount of debt. It's the American way.

I can't help but feel discouraged at this point. It feels like it will take forever for me to dig my way out of this financial pit. Maybe I'll get a spiritual lift once I actually have my license in my hands.

In the meantime, I better start dinner for my gem of a husband who has not only encouraged me every step of the way, but sacrificed his own lifestyle and financial success so I could accomplish my goal. He's so wonderful. I think he thinks I don't notice a lot of what he does to support us, but I do. I especially loved the shrimp curry he threw together for dinner last night. I'm determined to make him proud and to show him (and myself) that this struggle has been worthwhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yikes. just keep in mind how much more it would have cost if you went with your original plan of being an obgyn.

also, you keep really incredible records!

dk