After the fundraiser, we headed over to Tia Margie's house, since she was having a celebration for the day of the dead. As is true of all good Mexican parties, I knew I was related to at least half the people there, but had no idea who they were. Along with the mariachis and pozole, she and Tio Art had the house decorated with altars and paintings. Louis met a super cute two year old girl who was half Mexican and half Cambodian and he got excited about the possibilities of our combined DNA. Mixed babies are always super cute, but Asian genes totally dominate.
The two women in the black and white photo in the center are my great-grandmothers on my dad's side.
My aunt and uncle made this painting of my dad's brother, who was a firefighter and died when I was really young.
Another painting they made of my dad's dad, who loved wearing Hawaiian shirts and passed away in 2000.
Another altar of family members. My dad's dad is in the back center. My uncle is next to him. My mom's mom is in the front. The skulls were painted with rhinestones and glitter. Lots of candles and offerings all around.I can't wait till Kean and Sarah are old enough to help me set up an altar here. Ooh, and carve pumpkins, too. Louis and I will be carving pumpkins and roasting the seeds tomorrow.
The Medical Board deposited my check yesterday. That can only be a good sign, right? Yeah, I would really like my license now.
3 comments:
any day now!
woohoo, i will happily send hui qi to crafty tia jen's house! you can teach her how to make reusable maxi pads too!
dk
i would be honored to have Kean learn from you both. i look forward to that day, too
Post a Comment