Thursday, January 16, 2014

Migraine

It just occurred to me that I've been posting daily lately. It totally helps to have this outlet. I've been feeling less stressed the past couple days.

Today brought a whole new challenge, though. I woke up with a migraine headache and it was so miserable. Along with the headache came some pretty intense nausea and I spent the entire morning focusing my attention on trying not to throw up (and praying no one would go into labor). Olivia watched more Elmo than I would have liked, but it was the only way I could deal. During our playtime between lunch and nap, I just laid down on the floor in Olivia's room. I told her, "mama's head hurts" and she came over and kissed my forehead. How awesome she is. At one point I was crawling on my hands and knees because I was so nauseous and in so much pain. At naptime, I think I fell asleep before she did but when I woke up, at least the nausea was gone. I felt so guilty that she didn't have any fun at home today but then she went to my parent's house for a couple hours tonight while I went to a prenatal and had the time of her life there.

Today's headache was a nice reminder that I would not want to be pregnant and having morning sickness with a toddler. How do women manage? Especially those who can't nap or call in sick. Craziness.

I know my migraines are hormonally related but I recently read that they are also linked to gluten intolerance. I have been about 90% gluten free since the first of the year, so I was really hoping that if I got a headache this month, it would be less intense. But, it seems like it was the opposite. Is it a detox reaction? Who knows. Maybe next month will be better.

I have noticed a perk from being gluten-free, though! I've lost about 5 pounds and a bunch of fluff from my back is gone. I'm gonna keep it up. Tomorrow will be a good day.

No comments: