Monday, January 6, 2014

Vacation Over

Louis goes back to work tomorrow. He's been home for a little more than two weeks and it has been awesome. 

Well, actually the first week was hard because it was so hectic. Christmas week was not relaxing in the least. I got sick right after Christmas and I just caught another cold. Still, the past few days have been my favorite part of his vacation and I am really going to miss him tomorrow.

One of the things that was kind of annoying was that we spent so much time running around returning gifts. We got so many plastic toys and pajamas with flame retardant and other *stuff* that we totally didn't need. I really, really wish our community could get to a place where we only give gifts that are out of pure love and not obligation. It goes both ways, because I never want to disappoint someone with a gift we give. That was the least enjoyable part of the holiday this year. Instead of the expensive unnecessary gifts, I would have much preferred no gifts, skipping the return lines, and having an extra hour of quality family time instead.

I'm so grateful for the generosity of those around us, I just wish we (everybody) could live with less stuff.

Louis and I went out on a date, which was super exciting. It was only our second date since Olivia was born. We saw a really good movie (Saving Mr Banks) and then had dinner at the new Creasian restaurant. Over dinner, we made a pact to schedule one date per month this year, even if it's only to grab dinner or do our taxes. It was nice spending alone time with him.

Another thing we did over dinner was write down our wish lists. It's a silly thing we started years ago but we would ask each other what we would buy if money wasn't an issue and then we'd write it down and look at it from time to time. It also helped us understand each other and know what our priorities were. Usually, my list would include things like a haircut or a custom made pair of jeans and he would list sheet music or something like that. This year, though, we had a hard time coming up with anything to write. Instead, our wish list items all involved time and the freedom to start or finish projects at work, for fun, or around the house. We're getting old.

Our home is comfortable. We have everything we need and more. All we want is to enjoy more time together. Every vacation makes me appreciate Louis even more and this time was no different. I love my family.

No comments: