Thursday, June 25, 2015

Library Stuff

O took a nap today and Louis didn't have to work late, so the three of us spent a rare weeknight evening together. We ate dinner at home - I've been rocking the crockpot lately - and then went to family fun night at the library.

The event was listed as a comedy magic show and it was awesome! The guy was really young and good at his magic tricks.  The room was packed and he got everybody involved in the show. O would squeal when he'd do something funny. She loved it. One of the best parts was when Louis got called up to be an audience volunteer for a card trick. We were all impressed by the show and would definitely consider having him come to a future birthday party, since he announced that's what he does.

At the end of family fun night, the library staff hands out snacks at the back of the room. They used to give out mandarin oranges but lately it's just been nasty food-dyed fruit snacks. I've already mentioned it at the commission meeting but I'll bring it up again. It's upsetting that we're providing junk food to kids. It'd be better not to offer snacks at all, in my opinion.

Before we left, we stopped to get O's summer reading booklet stamped. We finished book report number 4 today. One of the books we read was Little Red Riding Hood. O picked it off the shelf at the library and I thought it was cute until I got about halfway through. So, the wolf EATS the grandma and then the hunter comes to shoot the wolf dead, and then the hunter and Red slice open the wolf and stuff him with rocks. Holy moly. I always thought the wolf just pretended to be grandma. I swear I never knew the actual story! Guess my parents made up another version like I did when I read it to O today, lol.

For O's book report, she drew a picture and then I asked her what she liked best about the book. Her answer: "I didn't like the wolf." 

At the library, she decided to spend her points on a purple butterfly wand, instead of saving them for something better. Before we even made it home, the wand was broken. Oh, well.

We checked out a bunch of books about girls and body parts and birth, since that's what O is fascinated by right now. Our next book report should be very interesting.

No comments: