Sunday, July 12, 2015

Church

I took O to mass this morning. I want her to get used to church, and I knew she would enjoy the music. Now that's she's so much more interested in what's going on, I want to be able to start describing things for her. She was fidgety but did fine with a bag of dry snacks. We lasted the whole hour! 

The priest is brand new and today was his first mass at St Leander's. He's about my age (how long does it take to become a priest, I wonder?) and he says his parents are Filipino and he was born and raised in Hercules. Says he doesn't speak a word of Tagalog but loves Filipino food, ha. He seems to be really interested in getting young folks involved. I noticed in the bulletin that they're doing a free family movie night (Big Hero 6) next week in the gym, which seems like a very new thing for the church.

I remember as a kid that right after mass started, all the kids would get invited to go across the street and do crafts or hear stories so we didn't have to sit through the boring mass. They don't seem to do it anymore, but it would be kind of cool to bring it back.

As we were leaving, the older lady behind us tapped me and said I had a beautiful, well-behaved daughter. Yes!

No comments: