Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Good News

My dad came home from the hospital, yea!

We gathered last night for a family dinner, since it was also my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday, Mom! My dad is up and around and doing well.

During dinner, everyone asked about my test results, so I fished the envelope out of my purse and handed it to my dad to open. He read the whole letter silently to himself, while the rest of us were kept in suspense. Finally, he looked at me and said, "Hey, congratulations."

Hey, I passed the NARM, yea!

I needed a 75 to pass, and while I wish I had gotten a higher score (anything above 98 would have been good), I'm just glad I passed. A pass is a pass is a pass. EXCEPT, that I scored exactly one point less than T. OMG, I'm never gonna be able to live that one down.

Yesterday was a good day.

Today has been good as well. It's payday for Louis, which is always wonderful. We can eat now! And we get to keep our cars and phones, woo hoo! Honestly, midwifery school and my apprenticeship caused such a drain on our finances. As much as I want to celebrate the fact that I'm practically done, I still see myself sitting at the bottom of this very deep financial mudpit. Ugh. And so, I decided to apply for a job. A real job with benefits and sick leave and everything! I was just randomly searching Craigslist the other day and found an ad for a "Health and Sexuality Program Leader/Health Educator" for Girls Inc. Basically, I would be teaching sex ed to middle and high school girls in Alameda County. How perfect is that? Louis said the job description was written for me.

He helped me polish up my resume, which hadn't been polished up in about two years. He also helped calm my nerves so I could put together a cover letter and send in the application. I don't know why I'm so nervous. I guess it's just been so long since I've actually asked someone for a job.

According to the job description, I have all the qualifications. However, I know the job market is pretty rough right now. The auto response I got after I submitted my application was, "Thank you for your interest in Girls Incorporated of Alameda County. Due to the high volume of resumes, we will contact you if we feel your resume is a match to the position requirements." Guess I just have to wait and hope for the best.

It's only a temporary position, from October to next June. If I get it, it would be a really great (challenging) opportunity for me and would add a lot to my experience. If I don't get it, well, then plan B is to work full-time as a midwife. Either way, I'm good. Oh, but it would be so lovely to have a regular paycheck.

No comments: