Well, I didn't get hired for the health educator position at Girls Inc. At least I think I didn't. The day after I applied, I got an email response that said, "Dear _____." Literally, they didn't even fill in my name. The rest went, "Thank you for your interest in our organization. We have reviewed your application and have concluded that the position was not the best match with your particular experience and qualifications. The decision was based upon and weighed carefully against the position’s requirements and the agency’s needs."
Okay, so here was my initial reaction:
First, the negative - Seriously, I don't have the right qualifications!? How do I know they even looked at my resume, since they don't even know my name? Who could possibly be more qualified than I am? (And then a moment later...) Wow, I really want to meet this person who is more qualified than I am; I think I would really like her. But, ugh, I totally could have used a steady income.
Then, I got more positive - Alright, so it wasn't meant to be. It probably went to a teacher who has tons of years of experience in the district. Hey, this means I can take more birth clients now AND use up my non-refundable airfare credit to travel next spring. I'm getting my license in a couple months. I'm gonna be a midwife!
My ego was slightly bruised, but I know it's for the best. Actually, I feel really bad that so many really great people are looking for work right now. I felt kind of guilty that I could have taken this job away from an unemployed teacher. Makes me really grateful that I am so close to having a job that is, really, un-layoff-able. I know I'll never have sick leave or vacation pay or any of the other benefits that come from working for a big company. I also know I'll never have to deal with any of the drama that goes with it, like having to walk a picket line, worrying about pleasing a boss, or losing out on a promotion.
Midwifery may suck in a lot of ways, like the unpredictable work schedule and pay, having to stay awake for freaking ever, having to deal with the dumbest health care system in the world, and not getting hospital privileges or physician backup, but there will always be work. It really hasn't changed since the beginning of time. And, the only bosses I have to report to are the women and babies I help. I picked a good career.
I just have to keep reminding myself of that every time my mortgage is due.
No comments:
Post a Comment