Okay, so I posted on Facebook that I only have two modules left. It's really three, but two just sounded so much better. I loved the comments I got. I have my own little midwife cheering squad!
I just finished a doozy of a module - charting. I printed out all 130 pages of practice guidelines I wrote this summer, a draft of my contract, and draft versions of every other chart form I plan to use in my practice. Fortunately I was able to use the forms my preceptor uses. I did edit and re-format them during my apprenticeship, so I don't feel guilty.
My printer has been mighty good to me, even though it's screaming at me to replace its black cartridge.
I gave myself a pat on the back tonight because not only am I whipping through the last of these modules, but I'm doing it during the hottest frickin week of the summer!
So, check this out. Last night (this morning? yesterday morning? I don't know), I was up past 4 am working on school stuff before I finally made it to bed. A few hours later, my phone rang and silly me, I answered it. Half dead to the world, I vaguely remember a woman saying something about her daughter in Oakland needing postpartum help with her new baby. Apparently through a series of grunts and mumbles on my end, I agreed to help.
I got a call this afternoon from the daughter who articulated the conversation when I was able to comprehend it, and I agreed to meet her at her home to talk about how I could help. I'm still not sure how or why it all happened, but I watched her struggling to keep her sanity with a colicky baby, counseled her and provided some suggestions (how am I even able to form sentences?), told her I would be available and that I could help. She totally broke down in tears and said it was just so wonderful to hear everything I said. I'll be going back in a few days to help with the baby plus some housework and *gulp* cooking. I really like her and it will be nice to help her out and get some snuggly baby time. I've never worked with just one baby before, although I get the feeling it's not necessarily easier than twins.
Tomorrow I have an appointment to get fingerprinted and then I'm taking my CPR re-certification class. Less than a week until I graduate!
1 comment:
yes, you are a very very calming person.
dk
Post a Comment