My dad comes home from the hospital tomorrow! His recovery has been super smooth medically, so he's being sent on his way. Yea! :) He'll definitely have a rough recovery ahead of him at home, not to mention an even more radical lifestyle change than the one he went through for his kidney stuff. He can do it, though.
I spoke with one of my mentors this morning and was super humbled by all her nice words and support. I had to go through the whole story about my dad and cancelling my trip again, but it was nice to talk to her. Turns out she was really looking forward to seeing me, too, and was totally bummed that I wasn't coming down. Aww, you guys. Anyway, she told me she had been praying for me and for my dad, and I'm super grateful. Before I started birth work, if someone told me they would pray for me, I'd be like, "Yeah, uh-huh." Now, I'm like, "Yes, please!" Especially coming from midwives, goodness, it's super special.
Every midwife I know has a significant relationship with a higher power, whether they refer to that higher power as God, Goddess, Allah . . . I kinda feel like it's something that develops along the way, like suturing skills. I'm certainly still learning but I have definitely done more talking with God in these past couple years than ever before. Actually, it's more like "bargaining" than talking. Many times I've had a silent conversation that went something like, "God, if you help me figure out a way to come up with the money for my car payment which is due in three days, I promise to be the best midwife I can be." And I know I'm not the only midwife who has had the conversation that went something like, "God, if you could just make this baby breathe, I promise to [fill in the blank]."
The thing is, it works. I think midwives have had a special relationship with God which started back in biblical times. According to the Bible, when the King of Egypt told the midwives to kill all the baby boys, the midwives disobeyed. God was pleased and has been good to the midwives ever since. So, when multiple midwives tell me they're praying for me and my family, I can't help but feel incredibly honored. It works.
No comments:
Post a Comment