Thursday, September 16, 2010

Well-Woman Care

Alright, enough of the screwing around. I have 10 modules left and I'm determined to finish this mess, once and for all. I can't take it anymore.

I'm super proud of the fact that I finished a major module today. Well-woman care was massive, but I got a lot of great information out of it. I studied every possible sexually transmitted infection (they're not called STDs anymore), how I can test for it, signs and symptoms, how to treat it, etc. Then there was every possible method of contraception, which I studied ad nauseum. Methods, effectiveness (typical use vs perfect use), latex alternatives, barriers . . . hormones and risks and side effects, oh my.

Then there were the cancers. Ovarian cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women. One in eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer. Women of color have a lower risk of getting it, but a higher risk of dying from it. Only 20-30% of women who get breast cancer have any risk factors. The GYN cancers are fascinating to me. I'll have to write in more detail about them soon.

I also reviewed menopause, hormone replacement therapy, unplanned pregnancy, emergency contraception, mammograms, Pap smears, breast exams, and HIV testing. Specifically, I now have comprehensive lists of places in Alameda County where someone can get free condoms, anonymous HIV and STI testing, over the counter emergency contraception, abortion services, as well as counseling and education about all things related to sexual health.

This module took me weeks to finish. I'm happy with my work and what I got out of it. Most of all, I'm just so glad it's done! Moving on to the next one now . . .

No comments: