Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 135

Today, the governor of Vermont signed a law requiring insurance companies to cover midwifery care, including home birth. Woo hoo! Vermont has the highest rate of home birth in the country, at 3%.

There is a multip in labor at the clinic now, so we'll have a baby at some point tonight. I worked a full day shift, then went to Starbucks with a midwife for a break, stopped at the market for some bits, and now I'm working the night shift. After the baby, I'll try to get a couple hours of sleep before I start tomorrow's shift. This is what I wanted, so I just hope my body can keep up.

According to the local news, the Mexican president will be visiting Juarez tomorrow. I hope the visit won't make the border crossing more difficult for our clients.

All the interns here now are pretty cool. The troublemaker left (loudly) this morning. The others are so relieved. One intern even wants to do a spiritual cleanse with sea salt and water all around the clinic. Not sure where she'll get the sea salt, since the local market doesn't carry it.

It was so hot last night that I couldn't sleep at all. I was fine all day, but I'm feeling it now. Maybe I'll try to doze until the birth.

No comments: