We had our first prenatal last night, which usually lasts about two hours. I take a full health history that starts with the client filling out a three page form before our meeting. Once we get together, I look over her completed form and ask questions about things she's checked off. It's one of the most interesting parts of the whole process because I find health histories fascinating. I always learn something new. It's also a chance to make sure a woman is healthy enough to plan a home birth.
Anyway, last night we were finishing up the health history and I asked if she wanted to talk about anything not listed on the form. I learned to ask because some women who have a history of abuse or past abortions won't list it on paper but will talk about it in person if they trust me. My client kind of hesitated and then said she wanted to list something but didn't because she was afraid of a doctor reading it. She was also worried about what I'd think.
By this point I'm waiting for the "it's too good to be true" bomb and feeling a little worried because I really like this family and want to work with them.
She finally says, "Um, well, uh, I drink raw milk."
My immediate response and first thing out of my mouth was, "Oh cool! Where do you get it?"
Haha. What a crunchy midwife I am. Geez.
I'm so relieved that's all it was. We had a great talk about the safety of raw milk and the CSA where she buys it. She ended up confiding more bits about her health she thought might be considered weird but they totally weren't. I'm glad we're starting out being honest. And now I know where to get Olivia's raw goat milk!
Look at how things just work out.
No comments:
Post a Comment