Thursday, May 23, 2013

Treasurer

I am now the treasurer and CFO of a non-profit. Oh, the things I get myself into. 

Our non-profit is called California Families for Access to Midwives and you can check us out at www.cafamiliesformidwives.org. CFAM was born at our dining room table about a month ago, as T had the idea to start an organization to lobby for increased access to midwifery care and to support or oppose legislation regarding midwifery in California. Before I knew it, she had roped me and Louis into being members of the board. When our original treasurer reluctantly resigned because she was too busy with work, I volunteered to be a temporary treasurer until we could find someone who actually has a financial background. I thought I'd just be responsible for collecting and depositing checks. Somehow I get the feeling it won't be that easy and I may not be so temporary.

I spent the afternoon at the bank setting up our account and learning about business banking. I have to research credit card readers now and I need to buy the Quickbooks software, which I've never used. I'm interested in the work but I just hope I do everything right! I don't like dealing with other people's money.

I'm supposed to be a midwife!

No comments: