Well, technically it was to a Barry Manilow concert, but at least I got dinner and entertainment out of it.
Louis was beyond excited to see Barry Manilow for the third and final time in concert. As the guy is 71 now, this is his final concert tour. He does know how to put on a good show, I gotta say. Louis turned to the 50-something lady next to him before the show to apologize in advance for going crazy. She laughed and they ended up talking and becoming friends by the end of the night. She introduced herself as a "fanilow" and they compared song lyrics and trivia during the whole pre-show. Lordy.
Loretta gifted us the tickets as a birthday gift for Louis and, generous as she is, she bought seats on the floor so we could be as close as possible.
My mom stayed with O and the plan was to put her to bed just after we left. There were no tears as we were leaving!
On our way, we stopped to pick up sushi to eat on the road, since I didn't want to spend more time away from O by eating at a restaurant. Silly, I know, but it was already a long evening for my mom and I didn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of her.
We ate and talked on the drive, found our seats, put in the ear plugs they were handing out (lol), made friends with the old folks, and waited for the show to start. Minutes into the opening act, I got a call from my mom. Expecting the worst, I squeezed my way past some annoyed people to dash up the stairs to the main level where I ran into the bathroom and down to the end of the aisle to the quietest spot. All out of breath, I called mom back and found out that O just wanted to say goodnight. Oh.
The show was a full 90 minutes of Barry, which is the longest we've seen him perform. Louis snapped pics for Facebook and sang along the whole time. I liked that Barry made a little speech about how important it is to have music in schools and how he went to a "dump of a high school" in Brooklyn but his school had an orchestra which he joined, and how that basically saved his life. He encouraged his audience to bring any used or new instruments to the arena in San Jose, where his music non-profit would then fix them up and donate them to local schools.
Louis had a blast. O went to sleep without us, which is the first time that's happened in over a year! I was motivated to get started with some music lessons for me and O. And mom apparently had a good time, because she offered to watch O on a monthly Saturday evening basis. Yes!! More date nights to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment