Wednesday, April 15, 2015

SB277

We finally had a little victory today with the vaccine bill!  I haven't been posting much about my involvement because it's so emotionally draining to be so vulnerable and I know it will cost me some friends.  But then, I've made some awesome new friends, so maybe it's not so bad.

Olivia and I drove up to Sacramento last Wednesday for a huge rally on the first day of hearings on SB277.  Despite a crowd of about 1000 people in opposition to the bill, it passed out of the health committee, which was a major blow.

I had been debating about whether to make the journey again for today's hearing before the education committee and finally decided late last night that I would feel more peaceful staying home.  Trying to get to the capitol with a little one in time for a 9 am hearing was just more than I thought I could handle.

But then, I watched the livestream of coverage from my computer at home this morning and I wished we could have gone!  The estimate for today's crowd opposed to the bill was about 3000 strong and over 700 people came up to speak before the committee.  It was so inspiring and moving.  I've never been so passionate about a political issue before.  I think it's because this bill would directly affect our family in such a huge way.

The committee, which started out entirely pro-vaccine ended up with the majority opposed to the bill.  For reasons I don't understand, they gave the bill's author a week to come up with satisfactory answers to questions about medical exemptions, homeschooling, and religious exemptions.  The committee will meet again in one week for a vote only, which means they won't hear any public comments.

I'm thinking we won't make the trek for the vote, but we'll definitely be watching from home.  My facebook feed is now about 75% vaccine-related news and updates because I belong to so many groups and pages.

My dad called me today because he heard about my "vaccine thing" on the radio and how the callers were saying they would pull their kids from public schools if this bill passes.  We talked for awhile and I explained some of the bits of the bill and why it was so dangerous.  It feels great to have him not only take an interest, but to be able to see my side.  I think one of the best things to come out of this stupid 277 drama is that now everybody is talking about vaccines and so many people are starting to have doubts about their safety.

In another senate hearing room today, a couple midwifery bills were heard and passed!  We are on our way to getting medi-cal coverage for homebirth in California!

Our entire medical establishment is starting to crumble.  And not soon enough.

No comments: