Today was such a better weather day than yesterday. Louis and I just hung out at home, staying in our pajamas until noon and then just relaxing and enjoying our time together. We watched some trashy TV (Khloe and Lamar) and after dinner we watched The Lion King, which was a gift from our baby registry. The coolest thing was that the baby moved a lot during each song of the movie, but only during the songs. It was like the three of us were watching the movie together :)
I've still been doing a lot of reading lately and my most recent book was The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears. I just received the newest edition, which is from 2011, and I wanted to do more vaccine research before the baby is born. This book has a high rating on Amazon, with most reviewers saying that it's a pretty balanced book. The high rating was impressive to me, because this is such an emotional issue with people usually staying on either extreme end. I guess my impression was that after reading it, I would recommend the book myself. I really appreciated the current research and stats and I found the book easy to read and understand. I finished it within two days, so while it was full of technical information, it was still interesting enough to read in its entirety (and with pregnancy brain).
I fully admit that I have some strongly biased opinions about pregnancy and childbirth and even newborn care, but I really don't know a whole lot about children's health. I started my serious vaccine research with the mindset that I am completely opposed to any vaccines given at birth, but that I am open to the idea of vaccinating our child in general. Basically, I didn't start reading this book as a strong "no vax" person. After reading the book, I'm still not a militant no vaccines whatsoever person, but I'm honestly puzzled about the supposed "need" to follow the current recommended vaccine schedule. And not just the schedule is confusing, but the whole concept. Honestly, what am I not understanding?
Here are a few examples from the Sears book:
Hep B-
Hepatitis B is the first vaccine that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends all babies receive, with the first of three doses given immediately after birth. Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted virus that causes liver damage and sometimes liver failure and cancer. The reason this vaccine is recommended for all newborn babies is that hep b can be passed from infected mother to her baby during the birth process. Also, anyone living with an infected family member is potentially at risk, since they are likely to have close contact with the person's blood. When the vaccine was first developed, the recommendation about giving it at birth came from an admitted conflict of interest in which CDC members who voted to add this vaccine to the infant schedule also received funding from the vaccine manufacturers. About 30 infants, 30 children age one to four, and 70 children age five to fourteen are diagnosed with hep b each year in the US. Virtually all of these cases are due to transmission during birth. The vaccine contains both aluminum and formaldehyde and side effects include everything from flu-like symptoms to severe allergic reactions, liver damage, severe nerve paralysis, seizures, and multiple sclerosis. Dr. Sears specifically writes, "Infants don't need this vaccine. Parents can choose to delay this vaccine until the teen years."
Ok, so why would I want our baby to have this vaccine? Louis and I were both vaccinated for hep b as teenagers, I tested negative for it during pregnancy, and no one else who will be in close contact with the baby for the first year has it. Plus, 30 infants per year get it? With the risks of side effects and toxic ingredients, that doesn't justify it for me.
Polio -
Polio is a virus that is transmitted like the common cold or an intestinal flu. Most often polio is not fatal. Infection creates lifelong immunity. There haven't been any cases of polio in the US since 1985. The AAP recommends that babies receive four doses of the polio vaccine before age five. The vaccine is made from a culture of monkey kidney cells and baby cow blood serum. Formaldehyde and 2-phenoxyethanol are added as preservatives. Three antibiotics are also mixed in to keep the solution sterile. The chance that an unvaccinated child will catch polio while living in the US is very close to zero. Dr. Sears (a self proclaimed pro-vaccine pediatrician) recommends this vaccine because, "It is safe to say that we don't give this vaccine in order to protect each individual child from catching polio. Rather, we do it to protect our nation as a whole in the event an outbreak does occur."
Wait, so it's virtually impossible for our American-born baby to contract polio, but we're supposed to give the vaccine "just in case" anyway? Seriously not trying to be flippant, but does this really make sense to anybody else?
For me, it didn't get much better from there. I mean, really, a vaccine for chicken pox? It's a live virus! And, unlike actually getting chicken pox, it doesn't provide any guaranteed immunity. What?
The argument about CA requiring vaccines before kids can enter school is bogus, since CA offers a philosophical waiver for any public institution from kindergarten to college. If I have to be that person, I will. But, I'd love to do some more vaccine research. I am so genuinely interested in hearing from other parents who decided to vaccinate their babies. I really want to hear from people who are not in the "Yes, doctor" camp and who actually did substantial research before deciding to vaccinate. If I'm really missing something, I'd like to know what it is. Otherwise, I seriously can't justify giving our child any of the recommended vaccines as a baby.
Help! Who thinks infant vaccines make sense?
No comments:
Post a Comment