1 - I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
2 - Other people's moods affect me.
3 - I tend to be very sensitive to pain.
4 - I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days, into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
5 - I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
6 - I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens close by.
7 - I have a rich, complex inner life.
8 - I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
9 - I am deeply moved by the arts or music.
10 - I am conscientious.
11 - I startle easily.
12 - I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.
13 - When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
14 - I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once.
15 - I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.
16 - I make it a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows.
17 - I become unpleasantly aroused when there's a lot going on around me.
18 - Changes in my life shake me up.
19 - I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, and works of art.
20 - When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise.
21 - I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.
22 - When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.
More than 12 "true" answers means a person is likely highly sensitive. I answered true to nearly all of them. I shared the list with my mom today, and she answered true to most of them, too.
My daughter is just like me! And I'm like my mother. Mind blown.
So apparently 15-20% of the population is highly sensitive (curiously enough the same percentage as those who are Rh negative, like me and my family, but I digress...) and it seems to be genetic. I'm still learning much more about what it means, but it could be one of the reasons why I find motherhood so difficult. I need downtime to rest from the stimulation of it all and find my peace. When I can't get a rest, I start going crazy.
I had a whole day off today and it was awesome. I'm so rested and ready for the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment