I got my first delivery today. There were three meals in a refrigerated box that was delivered to the door. The food was totally fresh. I chose to make a butternut squash gratin casserole dish for dinner tonight. The instructions said it would take 45 minutes to cook and it took me a little longer, but it was easy enough to do. I thought it was so much fun! Amazingly enough, I had never toasted almonds or breadcrumbs before tonight because I always just skipped that step. Tonight I went for it and even though I can't say the toasting made much difference in taste, I liked being able to do something new.
All the ingredients come in tiny packages of exactly the amount you need for each recipe. You can specify whether you're vegetarian or not and if not, which types of meat or seafood you eat. The delivery happens once a week. The casserole recipe said it cooked two servings but it was more like four and a half.
The casserole had butternut squash, quinoa, kale, almonds, golden raisins, leek, coconut milk, and some spices like cardamom that gave it a great, spicy flavor. We all loved it! I probably never would have made the recipe myself, but now I can't wait to try it again.
At sixty bucks a week, it is a bit pricey. Getting the groceries for meals has never really been a problem, it's been the prepping and cooking part that is hard with a little one, and this service doesn't really help that issue. But, with the ingredients already pre-measured, I can see that O would be able to help me prepare meals more than she has been.
Anyway, we're going to try it for a couple weeks and see how it goes. So far I'm loving it. I love being forced to try new recipes and new foods. I especially love the accurate step by step color photo instructions on the back of the recipe card that I can keep forever. That alone is worth it.
1 comment:
a coworker sent me a free trial shipment. it comes on 1/30. can't wait!
Post a Comment