Friday, January 9, 2015

Science Fair Follow-up

Well, it appears I wasn't the only one who was shocked by the low quality of projects at yesterday's science fair.  Louis heard from some uppity-ups who were also seriously disappointed.  One person complained that it was supposed to be a city-wide event, but more than ninety percent of the projects were from the high school only.  I think the same person has also formally asked the school district to place a much greater emphasis on the development of science and technology instruction.  Maybe next year's event will be better.

I think one of the reasons I was so upset was because Louis is such a huge supporter of our local public schools (and I clearly am not).  To him, San Leandro schools will always be special because they were so much better than Oakland's schools, and the reason his family moved here was to avoid having to go to high school in Oakland.  Not realizing he was the exception, he says he had wonderful experiences and opportunities at San Leandro High and that the public schools would be perfectly good enough for Olivia's education. But, I can totally see his mind slowly changing. In a way it's sad that he's starting to lose pride in our local schools, but he's seeing the same consistent low quality/low standards from the schools at every event we attend, while hearing and seeing stories of successful homeschooling families around us at the same time.  I know he's having a hard time, so I'll be more gentle. We both just want what's best for Olivia.






No comments: