We called Auntie So, the only non-immediate family person who has ever been entrusted to watch O (we love Auntie So!) and asked her to come over a little early so O could get used to her again before we left for dinner. It took about 15 minutes for O to fully warm up but she didn't even flinch when we said good-bye because she was already so busy playing store.
We tried not to go crazy with detailed instructions and ended up just saying, "she can eat anything, she can wear anything, she can play with anything she can reach."
I was way calmer about the whole thing than I thought I would be. I was even ready to leave earlier than we had planned, because O had adjusted so well, but I had to wait for Louis to finish his real estate phone call.
Dinner was delicious and we had a nice private table in the corner. It was so nice to have his full attention. I noticed myself actually looking at my husband instead of just noting his presence. Of course we talked mostly about Olivia and work over dinner. But, at one point Louis asked me what would make me really happy. I automatically responded, "I am totally happy," and then blurted out, "a night alone in a fancy hotel."
LOL
We both laughed and I told him that my gift to myself when I finally finish nursing O is to spend an entire night in a nice hotel all by myself, with a good book, the Oprah channel, a bubble bath, and a king size bed all to myself for at least eight straight hours of sleep. Ahh, someday.
Just as we were leaving, Auntie So called to say O was having a hard time. It turns out that O had pooped and was probably embarrassed at having someone other than us change her. She also told me later that she cried because she didn't want to put on her pajamas because then she would have to take off her special dress and it meant Auntie So (her special playmate) would be going home.
In the end, I think tonight was a great success. I'm so glad that O has such a good time with Auntie So. I really hope we can make this a regular thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment