After the yelling incident a couple days ago, Olivia and I have been having a great time together. I haven't lost my patience once! We've been having lots of fun back at our usual routine. After the holidays, I started a new policy of rotating her toys so that each morning she wakes up to one thing to play with on the coffee table that is different than the one from the day before. Today we worked on a box of 8 different Mickey Mouse puzzles. She puts them together so quickly. We were racing each other to see who could make the puzzles faster.
Wednesdays are our free days and this morning we went to toddler time at Sulphur Creek. There was a woman sitting right next to me who had her two year old with her as well as an older (7-ish?) daughter. The older daughter was laughing and whispering with another older sibling who came, since they apparently knew each other. All of a sudden the mom yanks the girl's arm up and yells at her to sit up on the bench next to the mom (and me). The mom is yelling super loudly at the girl about how rude she is and how "everyone is looking" at how disrespectful she was being. She wasn't, actually; she was just being a kid. Plus, that room is super loud anyway. Anyway, the girl starts crying and the mom keeps yelling at her! Now everyone in the room really is looking at them.
Olivia turned around to watch the crying and yelling and I found myself trying to inch away from the family. It was rather awful.
The crazy thing is that I could absolutely feel the anger and stress that the mom was oozing. I have felt much the same at times before. But, wow, to see it so clearly on someone else was not cool at all. The mom had such a mean, unhappy look on her face the whole time and she was so rough with her kid.
I will not become that mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment