I can't believe everything that happened today fit into just one day.
Last night, I had just finished my copying project and was on my way to bed when we heard the unmistakable sound of a woman pushing. A few minutes later, we had a nice birth. I hung around to help out a bit and then said goodnight. Not two hours later, I got called to another birth, this one for a woman who walked in at 6 cm. I so love multips.
After the second birth, I went back to bed, only to be awakened a few hours later by my alarm. Grr. What is it about an alarm that my body protests so much? I signed myself up for the day shift today, because A was working and fun stuff always happens on her shifts. Sure enough, as soon as I showed up at the clinic, A put me in charge of managing the labor and birth of yet another multip, this one having her fifth baby.
I know I will remember this client for a long, long time. She was the most hilarious laboring woman I have ever met. There she was, at 7 cm, cracking joke after joke about the whole thing. She had every one of us laughing hysterically. She carried on with her comedy routine for about an hour, pausing every couple minutes to breathe through a contraction. Finally, I asked her if I could check her. She asked me to show her my hands, and when I held them out, she agreed to be checked. All the other midwives had hands that were too big, she said, and she joked about not letting them near her, even though I thought she was mostly serious.
Anyway, so I check her and she's still 7 after an hour or so of keeping us entertained. Since it's her fifth baby, I know she's on the brink of letting go and birthing, so (with her consent) I give her cervix a gentle push and on the next contraction, she dilates to 10 cm. The next contraction, her baby girl is born. She keeps asking me what I did that was magic and brought the baby. I just shrug and smile and remind her I have manos pequenas :)
Unfortunately, the morning laughs ended soon after, when we discovered the baby was born with a club foot. Statistically speaking, a club foot happens to about 1 in 1000 babies, but this is the second one I've seen on a baby I caught. Baby girl also had some possible markers for Downs or other chromosomal/genetic abnormality. After thoroughly examining the baby and reviewing the plan to have her evaluated by a pediatrician, I tried to console the mother, who asked what she did wrong to cause the bad foot. She said she remembers slipping and falling once while pregnant. She felt the baby kick her as she fell, and she's sure that must have caused it. I know she and the baby have a long road ahead while they both work to become okay. I wish I could keep in touch with them, but in about 10 days, they will fly home to Mexico. I hope they get the care they need.
Before the family left today, the client (and her mother) made a point of telling me how much they appreciated my gentleness and sense of humor. She told me I was a wonderful midwife and that I had earned a gold star. Aww, you guys. She even asked to take a picture with me before she left. Then, she said goodbye and gave me a bracelet as a thank you gift. How nice is that? It was quite a humbling experience.
After the birth, the director stopped by and I gave her the work I had done on her project. She was so surprised that I had finished it already. I think I scored points, yes!
By the end of the day, I desperately needed a second shower. I emerged from the bathroom just in time to hear the rain pouring overhead and see the ceiling crumble further as a result of the massive leak we have. *sigh* Around that same time, the midwife asked me if I would mind going out for Chinese food, and said she would buy if I took her car to pick it up. I said sure, so an intern and I set off for Pei Wei, which is supposed to be a slighly upmarket version of Panda Express. We brought the food back to the clinic and we all had a big communal dinner, which I always love. Good food, good conversation, good times.
The woman who had just delivered before our dinner, was celebrating her birthday today. Her husband went out to buy an ice cream cake to share with all of us. We lit a candle and a train of midwives and interns brought the cake to her as we sang happy birthday in Spanish. Our French-Canadian student sang it in French, then I added a verse of "queremos pastel" and the client was so happy. I splurged on a piece of cake, did a load of laundry, talked to Louis, and here I am.
What a full day. Tomorrow, we do it all over again :)
2 comments:
The stories, I LOVE the stories!
what a terrific day! that makes my day, too reading all about that! nice work, Mrs. Heystek!
Post a Comment