A fairly quiet birth day today. We had intern issues, though. There is one intern who is just totally unfocused on whatever she's doing. She has to be told muliple times to stay on task. Her paperwork is a mess, she constantly makes excuses, she forgets about food she's cooking and burns something literally everyday, she's super (unnecessarily) talkative with clients, she annoys the midwives and the other interns. Oh, I could go on. Today seemed to be the breaking point and the midwives had a powwow about how to handle her behavior. The consensus was that although she's here to learn, her distracted behavior prevents her from being able to provide quality care to clients. She's always complaining about being tired, so she's going to be assigned to fewer shifts per week until and unless she can prove that she is capable of providing primary care.
I think it's the fairest option, honestly. I mean, they could have asked her to leave altogether. I have been concerned about her interactions with clients, and I have caught her lying to me on more than one occassion. In the middle of the night, it was not fun to have to follow her around reminding her every five minutes what needed to be done. I feel bad for her, but I have no patience when it comes to providing incompetent care.
The interns and midwives have all been complaining to me about her, leaving me in the ever akward position as resident trying to keep the peace all around. I don't enjoy the responsibility of scolding, nagging, or reprimanding. It is not fun.
The latest complaint from the interns came after this particular student put a juice container on it's side on the top shelf of the fridge, where it then leaked over everyone else's food. A couple days later, she did the same thing with a jar of pickles and I heard about it again from some very understandably angry interns. *sigh*
I wish she was serious about midwifery, and not one of those airy fairy students who just like to hold cute babies. Everybody else here works really hard to learn our trade, and her lack of dedication and focus just grinds on us all. Ugh, I don't like being a meany!
1 comment:
Love, the pesky intern just goes to show how serious, focused and committed you are on *your* work. Way to go, meany! :) 143
Post a Comment