Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 153

I have no Internet connection. It is beyond frustrating, aurgh!

Every time I post from my phone, I later notice all kinds of spelling errors, so my apologies. Auto spell check isn't all it's supposed to be.

Anyways, so I didn't get a chance to post about Monday, which was technically two days ago now. I was up late on Sunday night, so getting up early on Monday morning wasn't the easiest, but it was so worth it. I went to my very first zumba class! One of the midwives here is a zumba instructor, and she invited me to attend her class. I have to admit I had been suspicious of zumba for quite some time, thinking it was just another weight-loss gimmick/fad that would rope in naive women. After my first class, though, I can honestly say I'm hooked.

The instructor is Mexican-American and so were most of the women in the class. They were all shapes and sizes (she is actually bigger than I am) and one woman even brought her young daughters, who loved the class. I was really worried that I would not be able to keep up with the class, since it has been a shamefully long time since I've exercised for real. About 40 minutes in, I thought I was going to pass out, but I am proud to say I made it through the whole class on my feet, without having to embarrass myself by taking a time out.

I loved the real salsa and merengue music they played, along with some Usher and Pitbull mixed in. I learned that each instructor uses her own music, moves, and style so that each class is very different. My instructor has developed a routine to a song from the movie Madagascar that starts, "I like em big, I like em chunky" and it's such a fun routine that women from all over El Paso come to take her class. Her cool down song was the "don't hate me cause I'm beautiful" song that's popular now. Overall, it was such a fun class that it didn't feel like exercise or something I would get bored with. I felt really comfortable, even at my out of shape skill level. The best part was that it only cost $5 a class! I am definitely planning to go back, and I may be able to buy a 10 class pack for $30, which is such a great deal. I would really love to keep up with the classes back home, but I have to make sure Louis' ex-girlfriend isn't teaching the San Leandro class (she teaches somewhere local) and that they can make the class as close to El Paso style as possible. Who is up for zumba-ing with me?

3 comments:

Louis Heystek said...

Very good. It's great to know that with zumba, you are willingly bringing the exhaustion onto yourself (versus being worked to death at Casa) -- plus, it's fun and healthy for you. Does doing zumba count as going out clubbing? :) I know who would be up for zumbaing with you (no, not me) -- your mother. Steven and I unsuccessfully burned the zumba DVDs for her over Memorial Day weekend and she honestly seemed disappointed.

amy said...

I'm willing to try Zumba, again, if you want a partner. My class I took through Chabot Community Ed was frustrating for me as the teacher and music kept stopping and it just made the class drag on and on and on. The Zumba near you (soon to be us) is in that dance studio behind the Pelton Center. The teacher I was trying to talk with was apparently Louis' ex-girlfriend (according to Phillip b/ I don't know these things). There are other Zumba instructors at that studio, though.

BTW, Louis' ex is a HUGE flake!!! She never sent me the details I needed, she didn't answer my calls, and then she tried to friend me on Facebook, thinking that I went to San Leandro High with y'all because she saw Kathy's name and Louis' name. Frustrating flakey person!! I wouldn't take a class from her anyway.

yellowrose15 said...

Ohmygosh, Amy, you inspired me to do some research. Check out my post Day 163.