We had a nice birth this morning. It was the same woman who came in late last night. It was a hard birth, but we all celebrated when she had her successful VBAC today. Yay!
A couple other amazing things happened today. One was that A pulled me aside and apologized for the awkward birth we did together the other day. Apologized!? I told her it was totally unnecessary to be sorry about anything and that I was just worried that I had disappointed her in a major way. Turns out I didn't, and we are extra good now. Phew.
She even rented Wolverine for us to watch tonight, now that I'm a new x-men fan. I have to admit I liked the movie we just saw in the theater more than the one we saw tonight, but I know I'm still missing a lot of the story. We still have plans to watch the rest of the x-men films while I'm here.
Two days ago, I noticed a large scrapbook on the desk in the clinic office. With permission, of course, I looked through it and I was so amazed to find that it was a collection of photos from Casa since it opened in 1985. Specifically, there were photos of breech births, twin births, face presentations, etc. It was so fascinating! I found out that it was sitting on the desk because L, the original owner had asked if someone could mail it to her in Colorado, where she now lives. Okay, so I don't know what came over me, but just then, I got the craziest idea that maybe, just maybe, I could take the book to her in person. We can't actually find a box it will fit in, plus she just sent me the nicest email thanking me for the copying work I did and invited me to stay at her place anytime, plus, did I mention it's in COLORADO!? She's just a few hours away from Walsenburg, which I have been trying to get to for years.
Am I crazy to think this might actually happen?
Well, so I did some research and learned that L lives 10 hours directly north of El Paso, meaning I can make the trip in a day by taking one highway all the way there. Along the way, I have to pass through Albuquerque and Santa Fe, which would be really nice to visit. Coincidentally, A is going to be attending a home birth in Utah during the time I'm thinking about going, and she offered me her hybrid to drive, so I wouldn't have to rent a car. I'm not set on the idea of the car or the trip itself yet, but I am seriously considering it. I'm thinking about taking the last few days of my time here to make the trip. It may very well be my last chance to do it before I settle in at home, pick up my full-time on-call schedule again, and prepare to become someone's mama.
Should I take advantage of this opportunity or am I being completely ridiculous? Life is so short that I don't have time for regrets. I need to decide within the next couple days. Under the advice of every midwife here, I am praying about it. Comments from home would help, too :)
5 comments:
Love, what an opportunity. I hope you will seize it and avoid making excuses for why traveling across the Southwest may not be possible. I have thought a lot about your plans, your itinerary and your "mission" to see L and I think it would be a profound experience. A care package is on the way with the materials that will help make the trip possible. Another thing: this is a pivotal year. A "big birthday" is coming up and how great would it be to cross this off your bucket list! We will all be with you on this journey! 143
do it!
do it!
do it!
postcard?
dk
Is my vote too late??? DO IT. No regrets, and as Louis says, you can cross it off your bucket list. Will this trip impact your flight home?
I'm doing it :) And no, it won't affect my flight. I'll still be flying home on June 27th.
Post a Comment