The oxytocin was sure flying today. Because the full moon is approaching, we have lots of women right on the verge of giving birth. We also have a pregnant staff midwife and a house full of women who are on the same cycle, if you know what I mean.
One of the interns is leaving tomorrow morning, so for her last shift tonight, we were all extra nice to her. Our French-Canadian student made crepes for everyone for dinner. They were so good! A, who was the staff midwife tonight, brought in homemade caramel popcorn to share. All the interns gathered in the office together to chat for the last time as this same group. We talked about the significant others in our lives and how much we miss them. We also talked about "love language," which I had never heard of before tonight. Apparently there is a book out called The 5 Love Languages and it's all about how we communicate love to others. The five languages are: words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service, receiving gifts, and physical touch. We tried to identify who was what kind of giver and receiver. The group's unanimous decision about me was that I'm totally a gift giver, meaning that I tend to show my love by giving gifts. They also said that it's clear from the number of cards and packages I've received since I've been here, that I also receive love from others who are gift givers. I had never really thought about this at all. I guess the gift giving was something I learned while growing up, since my parents were always so generous with giving and providing everything I needed. It was never done in an attempt to compensate for anything, and I don't think I'm very materialistic, so I tend to associate gift giving with love.
I totally think Louis is a words of affirmation kind of person, both as a giver and receiver. After they explained it to me, it made so much sense and I also wanted to re-commit to giving him the kind of love he responds to best. It was a nice self-help, bonding conversation :)
Later in the evening, we all watched Snatch together, since it was what the intern who is leaving chose. I admit I didn't get it at all and I couldn't wait for it to be over. I'm so not a fan of violence.
To continue the touchy-feely-ness of the day, I started writing my goodbye letter to A tonight. Oh my goodness, this is going to be so hard to finish. I have never told anybody what I really think of them, especially not someone as important as she has been. I don't even know how to find the words to thank her and tell her what she means to me. I want to be totally honest, but I worry that she may think it's way too sappy or emotional. I'm still trying to live by the motto of no regrets, though, so I'll have to go through with the letter in all it's brutal honesty and just hope for the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment