Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 151

Knowing I was scheduled to work overnight last night, I was able to sleep in late in the morning. In the afternoon, two interns asked me if I was interested in going for a ride to the "real" grocery store, so I jumped at the chance. Sun Harvest is El Paso's version of Whole Foods. They have all kinds of organic produce and luxury food items (which to me is basically anything without high fructose corn syrup, MSG, or dyes). As soon as we walked in the door, I went, "ahh..." Their prices are definitely higher than our local market, so I splurged carefully on brown cow yogurt (with the cream on top, mmm-mmm!), oranges, salad, and goddess dressing. Now I wish I had bought more, but I'm trying to make the money last.

Anyway, it was really good to get out, even though it was so HOT outside. The thermometer outside Sun Harvest said 206 degrees. I imagine it was somewhat off, but it could very well have been at least 106. I could not live here!

After Sun Harvest, we hit up Albertsons, where I bought a two-in-one shampoo and conditioner. I never use a two-in-one but I figured it would help cut down on costs and time spent in the shower, since I'm always afraid I'll get called to a birth while I've got a head full of shampoo. It has happened.

After Albertsons, we stopped at a burger place called Five Guys. It was an interesting place. Big bags of potatoes lined the walkway where you placed your order and there was a station of free peanuts you could munch on while you waited. The burgers were huge with all kinds of toppings available and the fries were super good. There's no In N Out here, but along with Five Guys, there is also Sonic and Whataburger. Oh, and our favorite, McDonalds. I still hate seeing clients eating McDonalds in labor or just after birth. Gross. McDonalds is for midwives to eat after a long birth, not for clients who need to be nourishing themselves and their babies. Argh.

After our excursion, I came home and took a second shower, since I was drenched. It's the first time I've had to do that since I've been here, but also the first time I was outdoors for that long. Ew-y.

The overnight shift was quiet, with no one in labor or in the clinic all night. A was on and cooked a garlic chicken and broccoli stir fry with rice for us. So good. She is so generous. After dinner, we watched movies while she and I continued working on chart review. We are halfway through the month of February, and this week, we hope to get caught up through the whole month of March. We can do it as long as we don't have births at night. Of course, if we have births at night, then we have fun :)

Movies at Casa are a big deal. Interns are constantly watching something during down time, and during the night shifts, the TV is on a lot. The movies I've seen since arriving two and a half weeks ago are:

The Mechanic
3:10 to Yuma
What Happens in Vegas
Kill Bill I
Run Fat Boy Run
Kung Fu Panda
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Listen to Your Heart
Why Did I Get Married Too
Grandma's Boy
Desperado

A is a big fan of Tarantino and his BFF Robert Rodriguez and likes action movies. Another midwife is into films by, for, and about people of color. And sometimes everyone loves watching the dumbest thing possible. We've also watched the season finales of Gray's Anatomy and Khloe and Lamar. We've seen all kinds of bridal shows, Criminal Minds, CSI, Law and Order, you name it. Of all the movies and TV I've seen here, though, Kung Fu Panda was by far my favorite. I really want to see the second one that's coming out. Otherwise, I couldn't really care less about all the movies, but it's nice to be able to say I've seen them so I can join the conversation.

A and I made plans to go out and see the new X-Men movie on Tuesday. I'm kinda like, eh, but we always have a good time together. I guess I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: